- An American in Paris (Dominion Theatre) – A beautiful Gershwin musical that is the talk of the West End, which I cannot wait to see in May!
- Mamma Mia (Novello Theatre) – This is a long running show, but I am still yet to see it. I love the film, and all of ABBA’s classic songs, so I think this show would be very entertaining.
- Motown the Musical (Shaftesbury Theatre)
- School of Rock (New London Theatre)
- The Girls (Phoenix Theatre) – After their stunning Olivier Awards performance, I would love to see this show written by Gary Barlow.
- Jesus Christ Superstar (Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre)
- Hamilton (Victoria Palace Theatre) – Who doesn’t want to see this smash hit musical?
- Judy! (Arts Theatre)
- The Book of Mormon (Prince of Wale’s Theatre)
- Our Ladies of Perpetual Succour (Duke of York’s Theatre)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts 1 and 2 (Palace Theatre) – Technically, this makes my list a top 11, but I couldn’t not include this play that was highly praised at the Olivier Awards!
I hope this list has given any theatergoers some inspiration (if you’re looking for an idea of what to see next). Of course there are tonnes of amazing musicals and plays in London and on tour right now, and this list names but a few. Let me know what shows you’ve seen recently (ones you’ve enjoyed, or even ones you didn’t).
As we are now approaching 2017, I’ve seen a few shows catch my eye recently that I would love to see. The last performance I saw in the theatre was The Phantom of the Opera (which was incredible) and so now I’m compiling a list of all the other shows I’d like to see. Some have been running in the West End for a while, and others are newer shows, so if you’re looking for an evenings entertainment I hope this will give you some ideas:
- Hamilton. Everyone is talking about this musical, and thankfully it is coming to London in 2017 (it may be impossible to get tickets, but this show about the history of American politics is definitely one to watch).
- Rent. There is a touring production of Rent that may be on its way to a theatre near you soon, so keep a look out (their recording of Seasons of Love was released on their social media and the cast sound fantastic).
- Dream Girls. Starring one of my favourite actress’ (Amber Riley) I’m so excited to see this show because the music is incredible and with a cast that talented, it’s going to be a great show.
- Mamma Mia. I find it strange that I haven’t already seen this smash hit musical, but as I’m in love with the film and the soundtrack, I think this fun filled show will be a must see for me next year.
- School of Rock. This musical recently opened, and as a Lloyd-Webber fan who loves the original film, I think I would definitely enjoy this show.
- Side show. With a very limited run, you’ll have to get in quick to see this one, but I think it will be worth it (it features some great songs such as I Will Never Leave You and Come Look at the Freaks).
- The Book of Mormon. Again, I’m not sure why I still haven’t seen this show. It’s soundtrack is brilliant, and I think it would be hilarious and enjoyable to watch.
Let me know if you’ve seen any of these shows and what you thought of them. Also, if there’s any shows on your theatre wish list that you think other people should know about, you can also let me know in the comments.